The political world is all agog about the secret tape of Romney saying some pretty harsh things about a portion of Americans….
“There are 47 percent of the people who will vote for the president no matter what. All right, there are 47 percent who are with him, who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe that government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it. That that’s an entitlement. And the government should give it to them. And they will vote for this president no matter what.”
………………………………..Mitt Romney, May 17, 2012
OK…let me first say that this is clumsy…the point is accurate but not well made. And Mitt is having to pay for this piece of political clumsiness…but in some schools he is being strongly supported for stating truth...albeit in not the best terms.
And this confirms in my mind just exactly what is needed in order to win in November.
It is clear that, to use Mitt’s percentages, 47% of the American public are not now, nor ever will be, voting for him. The demands of the addicted are such that any talk of budget constraint (ie. spending cuts) will send these folks running even faster to fall on their knees in supplication to their lord and master, Obama…hands outstretched pleading for a few words and some dollars.
In other words…these voters are not his market…and he should waste no time trying to convince them.
Where he should be spending his time is with the existing base and with the undecided…a fact that he and his team already know and understand.
What they seem to miss, however, is exactly what it will take to encourage the undecided to fall his way, or to encourage the conservatives to rush the polling booths in such numbers that the result cannot be denied.
There are a few things that are certainly true of this and most other elections:-
1. Sound bites rule the day. Short clever sayings will get more airtime than long convoluted explanations
2. More publicity comes from “outrageous” comments than from good explanations
If Romney wants to incite the conservatives to get to the polls he needs to change the nature of the discussion…something that is easy to do but is bound to totally tick off the 47% who will never vote for him anyway…so why not try it?
What is this secret weapon?
It is time for Romney to grow a pair and state in no uncertain terms the following:-
“This election is not just about who has the better plans to move the company forward. It is not just about who will generate employment quicker. It is not just about who will implement strong fiscal controls and efficient government with less waste. No! It is about far more than that. This election is not even about the philosophical differences between the left and the right.
This election represents a choice you have to make. A choice that will shape the future not just for yourself but for your future generations. Make no mistake, the decision you make on November 6 will dictate the direction of America for decades to come.
So what is this choice?
It is too east to say that it is a choice between philosophies. It is too easy to say that it is a choice of personality…or party preference.
The choice you are making is whether the USA will become a communist nation or whether she will roll back the ravages of liberalism and once more return to the roots of her constitution…a land of freedom, minimal government intrusion and economic strength. There is no half measures this time. Obama has told you where he wants to take this country …and I have spoken of the need to return to constitutional government. The differences could not be clearer.
Vote for Obama and you are voting to usher in a fundamental change to communism. Is that what you want? Because that is what you will get!
Make the right choice!”
When Romney is attacked for these statements, as he certainly will…he has many avenues to further point out his evidence…
- He can remind people that Obama campaigned on fundamentally transforming America in 2008
- He can remind people that 20 years in Rev Wrights black theology church informed Obama’s current thinking
- He can remind people that Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorhn are lifelong friends…that Dorhn was instrumental in bringing Obama and Michelle together….that their communist beliefs were a huge part of their relationship
- He can remind people that his father figure was Frank Marshall Davis, a card carrying communist
- He can remind people that Obama has spoken many times of his belief in redistribution of wealth
- He can remind people that Obama does not think the Constitution is an important document but rather one that simply gets in the way
- He can remind people that Obama has no qualms about ignoring congress
- He can remind people that Obama has used the department of justice to prevent the course of justice, not to ensure it
- He can remind people that the Obama administration has not produced a budget in 4 years…and that the budget Obama produced did not receive a single vote in Congress
- He can remind people that the EPA is out of control
- He can remind people of the Obama administrations desire to choose which industries should succeed and which should fail
- He can remind people of how Obama ignored bankruptcy law and stole assets from the bondholders of GM and gave those assets to his union buddies
- He can remind people of the abuse of the trust they placed in him 4 years ago
Will this tick off the Obama voters? Sure it will…you will hear their screams of “foul” all the way to Chicago…but that does not mean this should not be done.
Nothing will stop the Obama machine quicker than an attack on who Obama is...as shown through his own words, his own autobiographies, his own statements. You will have gasps of horror from those of the left…you will have 4 inch headlines in every major newspaper demanding he recant…you will have hordes of ignorant masses demonstrating in the streets. You will have the left showing you who they really are.
And you will mobilize the conservative movement. They will applaud the strength, honesty and bravery of this candidate. They will sigh with relief that at last somebody is willing to stand up and say what they all know to be true.
Most importantly, Romney will have given a reason for the 53% of Americans who are not in the bag for Obama to go to their polling stations and cast their vote for America.
You see…this is not an election to see whether Democrats or Republicans hold power for the next 4 years…no…this is an election to see whether America survives or sinks into a communist oblivion.